Houston Lake

Platte County, Missouri


Trash Pick-up: Items must be curbside by 7:00 am every Tuesday. Containers shall be removed from curbside no later than 8:00 pm on the day of collection. (Section 230.030 Municipal Code). A maximum of 10 bags per home. Any loose material such as carpet or building material needs to be cut into 4 foot lengths and bound together weighing 50 pounds or less.

Recycling: Recycling is collected usually once a month. Bin must be curbside by 7:00 am on designated Tuesday. Containers shall be removed from curbside no later than 8:00 pm on the day of collection. See the schedule on the Events and Meetings page. For information on accepted recycling material visit Recycling Basics.

Outside Providers

Natural Gas:  Spire | Spire.com
Electricity: Evergy | Evergy.com
Southwestern Bell Billing: 1-800-585-7928 Repair Service | 1-800-246-8464
Missouri American Water: Parkville (816) 741-2991 |Customer Service & Emergency – 1-866-439-0820
Kansas City Star Newspaper: Customer Billing (816) 234-4574 | Circulation (816) 234-4545
Post Office: Barry Road Delivery Unit 8320 NW Platte Purchase Dr, Kansas City 1-800-275-8777
Trash Collection: Republic Waste RepublicServices.com
Grinder Pump Service: Environmental One System Megan Micek (816) 663-0894
Platte County Court House: Information (816) 858-2232 | Collector 858-2232 | Health Department (816) 858-2412

Voter Information

U.S House of Representatives – 6th District
State House of Representatives – 14th district
State Senate – 34th District
Platte County – 1st District
Parkhill School District – R-5
For your state and local representatives – StateLocalGov.net
Where to Vote: Heartland Christian Church, 6120 NW Prairie View Road, Kansas City, MO

Sewer Grinder Pump Information

There are two sewage systems in Houston Lake. The North Ward/North Side is connected to a gravity system. The South Ward/South Side consists of a low pressure pump system and a gravity system. The low pressure system pumps sewage uphill to a point where it connects to the gravity system. Each home connected to the pump system requires wastewater to be collected in an underground storage tank on their property. When this tank becomes full the grinder pump goes on and the waste is pumped into a low pressure line that eventually connects to a gravity line. The pumps are maintened by the city. Every residence connected to the low pressure system has a pump on their property. The pump is maintained by an annual fee of $480.00. This fee is collected with the property tax statement each year. The money is set aside by the City in a Sewer Fund only to be used to repair / replace a failed pump.
There are a few things that can be done to help prevent premature failure of these pumps. The grinder pump is capable of accepting and pumping household waste. It is recommended that you use a liquid detergent for laundering. Regulatory agencies advise that the following items should not be introduced into any sewer, either directly or through a kitchen waste disposal unit: Glass, Diapers, Socks, Rags or Cloth, Metal, Plastic (toys, utensils, etc.), Seafood Shells, Sanitary Napkins or Tampons. Do not use caustic solutions for drain cleaning. If you must use a drain cleaner, use an enzyme cleaner. Do not connect gutter downspouts or sump pumps into a sewer system.
In very cold weather a pump can freeze if there is no water usage in the house. If you are going to be gone during the cold weather have a friend, relative or neighbor run hot water down the sink every day or two.
CAUTION: Do not disconnect power to the pump. The grinder pump cannot dispose of wastewater without electricty. If electrical power is interrupted, keep water usage to a minimum. The grinder pump is installed with a warning device (yellow light / or horn). The yellow light should be removed and tested periodically.
If you have any questions please call a city official or e-mail cityclerk@houstonlake.net

Important Municipal Codes

Building Permits: All persons desiring to construct, alter or add to any building, boat dock, fence, road or drive or any structure in the City of Houston Lake must first obtain a Building Permit for such construction, alteration or addition. (Section 500.100 Municipal Code). Applications for a building permit may be obtained by leaving a message at city hall, contacting your Alderman or calling the City Clerk at (816) 741-0644.

Fireworks: Class C fireworks are permitted from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm each day during the period of June 26th until July 2nd and on July 5th, and from 10:00 am until 12:00 am (midnight) each day on July 3rd and July 4th. (Section 210.680 Municipal Code)

Open Burning: All residents of Houston Lake wishing to apply for an open burning permit can do so by downloading the application. After you have filled out the form, please slip it through the mail slot on the door at City Hall for review and approval by the City Council.

Fishing: It shall be unlawful for any person to pursue, take, transport, ship, buy, sell, possess or use any fish from any body of water within the City without possessing a valid fishing permit issued by the Missouri Department of Conservation. This section shall not apply to any person 65 years of age or older or is 15 years of age or younger. (Section 210.690 Municipal Code)

Parking: No vehicle shall be parked on any street within the city limits of Houston Lake, MO. (Chapter 300 - Schedule II, Municipal Code)

All-Terrain Vehicles: No person shall operate an All-Terrain Vehicle upon the streets of this city. (Section 340.110 Municipal Code)

Boat and/or Fishing Docks: All boat or fishing docks require a building permit. No building permit will be issued for other than a floating movable dock unless specifically requested in writing by the President of the Venetian Gardens Homes Association. (Section 500.120 Municipal Code)

Detached Structures: No motor vehicle garages or garden tractor or tool shed type buildings shall be constructed without first obtaining a building permit. No lot shall be permitted more than one (1) structure permitted by this Section. Said permitted structures shall be permitted only after approval of the Board of Aldermen. (Section 500.240 Municipal Code)

Fences: Only fences of a chain link or decorative type will be permitted and a building permit is necessary for any and all fences. A building permit is required prior to any construction. Fences in excess of fifty (50) inches in height may require a Zoning Board Commission hearing and approval of the Board of Aldermen. Walkways and uncovered patios not on the property line do not require a building permit. (Section 500.190 Municipal Code)